12 April 2010

Monday Morning Wake Up Call--It's a New Day



This is a video that was submitted in a contest by a 20-year old. The contest was titled "u @ 50" by AARP. This video won second place. When they showed it, everyone in the room was awe-struck and broke into spontaneous applause. So simple and yet so brilliant.

A dear friend of mine sent this to me this weekend. It is from 2007, so I apologize if you have seen it, but I felt it was relevant given all of the discourse regarding the future of our country. Here's the thing, if one 20 year old thought this, then I am willing to wager there's a few more, along with some thirty, forty, fifty and yes, even some 60 or more year olds thinking, concerned, but thinking about the direction we are headed and the possibilities for the future. When I began this blog a year or so ago, I did it with the resolve it was outside of my work and that will not change. However, when I received this video, I listened to the 20 year old voice and realized some things about how I approach my work and most importantly, the people I connect with in my work day now. Everyone has been impacted by the economic crisis. What I realized is this recession in some way has been a blessing --I have more time to connect and listen. We all are just trying to find a way to pay our bills, put a roof over our heads, feed our families, put our kids through college and protect our retirement --A reminder ...the future awaits and it is bright if we choose to see it as so and work together, regardless of generation...each generation can add to the vision so long as there is a dialogue... now get busy and make it happen!

5 comments:

Ronda Laveen said...

Sing it, Sistah!

Lorenzo — Alchemist's Pillow said...

The video is brilliant C.M. I had not seen it before. Thanks for sharing the clip and your thoughts. And I agree, let's get busy and make it happen, let's turn the message and this world upside down!

Brian Miller said...

great inspirational post and we will only move forward when we work together.

rebecca said...

I had seen this video before but was so happy to see it again. I still cannot believe the creator won second place! It should have been first! It was brilliant. Brilliant!

Such wise, wise words that give us food for thought, no?

When I was growing up I often heard and read that when asked what were people's best age, many replied it began at 40. Though I did not understand it then thinking youth was certainly the best age, now I do. Youth has nothing on the wisdom that age provides. But this 20 year old, she is certainly the exception to the rule, no? And there are many like her as well. If a change is going to come, it will come from people like her and from us that wish to effect a change. Perhaps individually it may seem daunting and insurmountable, but collectively we can certainly make a difference.

Thanks for posting this. I enjoyed reading it again.

((hugs))
Rebecca

Unknown said...

C.M. Thank you for bringing this excellent work of a 20 yo to us. I had not seen it before.
What is happening in our world today.. Things like globalization , the economic crisis, wars,n earth pollution, immigrants moving around in search of work and food, etc. are affecting everyone.
When one looks at what is happening.. all over the world one might feel distress and despair and resign.. when he thinks he s alone ..
But after watching this brilliant video and listening to the 20 yo.. one believes there is still hope for mankind, there is still time to react and stop all this nonsense. If we all act together to stop it..
Have a great day and thank you for awaking us..
Costas

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...