29 September 2009

A Wrinkle in Time-Madeleine L'Engle

When I posted the badge regarding banned books I wasn't quite sure who I would write about. You see, there are so many. I was shocked and somewhat embarrassed by the fact that I hadn't risen up, given the fact that I had read so many of them and not realized that they were banned. I was an English Major !!! I didn't know, so I read and talked about the books I was reading. So in a way, I did my part. Handing a book to a friend and saying, "you must read this."

So from that perspective, I chose a book that I received one Christmas as young girl, that captivated and transported me to a new place. Why? Madeleine L'Engle's book not only had a female main character that is the oldest sibling who is not exactly what she wishes to be but is also missing a father and just a little too smart for her age. Reading this book set my mind on fire and addressed so many questions in my mind. It was banned because it talks about the age of the universe and therefore, questioned religion. I didn't see it then and chances are, when I read it again, I won't see it. It is about the characters, Meg and her brother, Charles and their ability to succeed against all odds,

This is a book I have given to every middle aged child I know. Further, as I sent this book to my favorite children,  I noticed that  Madeleine L'Engle began a series called The Crosswicks Journals and twenty years later, I read her books again. I found hope, solace and possibility in her writing. I have pulled all of her books from my shelves and will read them again knowing that her words will bring me to a place I want to be.

Look at your book shelf and speak about those books you love---re-read those books you love and live.

1 comment:

Sally's World said...

ypou've certainly inspired me to seek these books out again xxxx

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...