This painted pony sits just outside of the main building at Ghost Ranch in Abiquiu New Mexico.
Georgia O'Keefe lived and painted in this area for almost 50 years. The history of this area goes back
to 1766 when a land grant was given by the King of Spain. Spanning 21,000 acres, Ghost Ranch is also known as "Rancho de los Brujos" or "Ranch of Witches" and is comprised of land made famous by O'Keefe for its stark beauty,trademark steer skull and a history fraught with struggle since the original grant. The discussion regarding land grants is ongoing. An excellent book about Ghost Ranch has been written by Lesley Poling-Kempes.
Given to the Presbyterian Church by Arthur and Pheobe Pack in 1955, the Ghost Ranch today is a place of retreat and learning that also offers a number of hiking opportunities that reveal the expanse and beauty of the place.