02 March 2010

Open

"Even if it's not your ideal life, you can always choose it. No matter what your life is, choosing it changes everything."
Andre Agassi

I spent my early twenties watching tennis. Evert, Conners, McEnroe and Borg were my introduction to a game that I came to love. The discipline, excitement and the sheer drama of each player and their resulting matches made certain that I planned my 4th of July and Labor Day weekends around Wimbledon and the US Open. Despite my best efforts, my ability to play the game was limited largely due to this unknown skill called eye-hand coordination. Alas, I grew up before Title IX and never really grasped the idea of hitting a ball with a bat or a ball with anything for that matter though I tried. So I watched the game and the battles all the while witnessing these amazing athletes along with this upstart Agassi as he showed up to play wearing something other than white at Wimbledon and looking like Bonjovi with a tennis racket. Too quickly, they all faded away and I was left to watch how Agassi fought to stay in the game. Suddenly he had my attention.

So it was not only because of the love of tennis that I picked up Andre Agassi's book, "Open: An Autobiography", but because of his determination and his willingness to go to battle in spite of the odds and the better athletes in his path. I watched him as he reinvented himself through training and sheer resolve win.

But wait, this is not only a story about an athlete but also about a man trying to find himself. A journey. The ability to realize one's potential in spite of the day to day responsibilities, excel and find happiness. Sound familiar?

9 comments:

Brian Miller said...

definitely sounds intriguing...a story with which i can relate...

Megan said...

I always rooted for Sampras. But you've got me interested to check out that book...

Ruth said...

I LOVE his opening quote. I loved watching Laver, wore Laver shoes. I didn't play sports either, though I think I could have done fine. Should have run track.

Monkey Man said...

Interesting. I loved those classic matches with McEnroe and Conners. Volatile.

C.M. Jackson said...

brian--what amazed me was his honesty and his ability to reveal his insecurities in the process--a very different picture from the man we saw as a commercial success.

C.M. Jackson said...

I did too but because Sampras was so invincible (like Federer today)I was always drawn back to the underdogs and Agassi's battle was formidable. a great read especially if you enjoy tennis.

C.M. Jackson said...

ruth-something tells me that you could and can do anything you put your mind to--Laver's game was a lot like Sampras and McEnroe-"serve and volley" or better said playing with finesse and charging the net when nobody expects it--that's you for certain!

C.M. Jackson said...

monkey man--those were the days-hours long epic battles--the equipment has changed the game...

rebecca said...

I, like you, was glued to the TV back then also! LOL! Loved the steel personality of Borg against the emotional personalities of Connors and McEnroe. Sampras was the best for me though. Those aces! Dear God!!

Agassi's book does sound familiar. Everyone's journey might be different, yet the goals seem to be the same. Hm...maybe I'll pick up the book....

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...